Yes, the holiday season is here and, at some point, you will probably want to cry and pout. The holidays can get very stressful, as there are so many things to do. To help you enjoy the holidays, here are 12 tips to help you have a happy holiday season!
12 Tips for Happy Holidays
1. Pause and Breathe: During stressful times, pause and take a few deep breaths before you react. People are rushing around, and often manners are ignored. To avoid becoming stressed or irritated, pause and breathe.
2. Stay true to yourself: With all of the holidays and everything it entails, remember that YOU are important too! Do not do anything that goes against who you are. Be open-minded; just don’t feel pressure to do something you do not believe in.
3. Don’t stress out about the little things: Remember, they are little things! Life will go on if the presents aren’t wrapped perfectly. So, maybe you overcook the turkey…it will provide years of entertainment (well, at your expense, but it’s good to laugh at yourself!). Just remember that life goes on, and so will the holidays.
4. Give from the heart: Knowing what to buy someone can be stressful, so give from the heart. What do you want to buy them? What will make you feel good to give someone? Be creative – donate money to a charity in their name; send a fruit bouquet; have a star named after someone… You can give a gift that keeps on giving and is thoughtful.
5. Enjoy time with your family and friends: With so much going on, we can all forget that these are times to make memories. Take time to laugh and have fun with everyone.
6. Take time out everyday for yourself: You need time, just like everyone else. So, find a few minutes everyday to do what relaxes you: read, sit quietly, enjoy a cup of coffee, whatever you need to do to relax. Focus on yourself so you can stay positive and enjoy the holidays.
7. Stand back – look around – feel blessed: At some point, look at your life, and think of all of the blessings you have. There are so many others who do not have what you have, or are suffering. Feel Blessed.
8. Don’t overload yourself: An overloaded life leads to stress and meltdowns. Take it one day at a time. Don’t focus on all that needs to be done. Instead, change how you look at things. I’m talking about the power of positive thinking. This goes back to feeling blessed. Take it one step at a time. Remember, a well managed life leads to balance and peace.
9. Remember the reason for the season: In all of the Santa hype, holiday parties, fruitcakes and eggnog, remember the true meaning of Christmas. Celebrate and rejoice.
10. Remember your favorite Christmas memory: Take a little trip down memory lane. Close your eyes…think about your favorite Christmas memory. Remember how it felt, and let yourself feel it again – the excitement, the happiness. Now, every time you need to feel great, go to that memory. Find that joy and feel that joy again.
11. Enjoy Christmas movies: Watch your favorite Christmas movies. Be a kid again. Enjoy!
12. Give back: In the true spirit of Christmas, help make someone else’s Christmas special by donating clothes, toys and food. Adopt a family in need or sponsor a child. The magic of giving is joyous.
May your holidays be filled with love, joy, peace and happiness.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!